7th Annual WomenUnite! Event
Please join us to learn how your support of Sioux Empire United Way will benefit USucceed, an exciting new mentoring program for high school students. The WomenUnite! Event provides an atmosphere that inspires and unites women to a relatable cause.
A survey of at-risk teenagers in Sioux Falls found that 51 percent were not living with a parent and/or guardian. The survey also found the following:
- 37% needed help finding a job.
- 28% needed help finding housing.
- 19% needed help learning how to budget money, pay rent or deal with a landlord.
Currently in the Sioux Empire, there are few options for structured mentoring for students after the age of 14. Sioux Empire United Way's expanded partnership with Lutheran Social Services will form a new long-term mentoring program, USucceed, for students as they enter the pivotal time of high school.
- At-risk students are first priority at USucceed. Students will be matched with a mentor early in their high school careers.
- A volunteer mentor will commit to at least four years of mentoring a student, which helps build a relationship that lasts through the student's entire high school career.
- An independence coordinator will operate the program and assist both mentors and students.
- Mentors will help students set and meet goals in money management, college and career exploration, social relationships, daily living and more.
Your attendance supports USucceed. Volunteer to host a table of your friends or ask for a personal invitation.
When: August 31 at 11:30 a.m.
Where: Ramkota Exhibit Hall